Today's topic is How do I guard my speech?
Isn't it amazing that when we really are truly prayerful about the things that you study, the exact thing that you are studying applies to the day you are studying it? This has happened to me almost every day that I have been doing this. So on to the daily thought...
The topic was specifically about gossip, but I want to take it in a little bit different direction. In our own home we have really been working on saying kind words to one another instead of mean words. One of our biggest "no-no" words is STUPID. It is just so hurtful to the person you are saying it to. Anyway... so we have pretty much ingrained in the boys' heads not to say that. They will even correct you if you accidentally slip and say, "that stupid dog" or something similar. So the other night Peanut was pretty mad at me and mumbled under his breath, "Stupid Mom". Now unfortunately that is not the first time I had heard this, but for some reason it really got to me. After a good scolding, I put him on my lap and explained to him how much it hurt my feelings. I wanted him to understand that mean words really do hurt and that it can make people feel really bad. I think we had a breakthrough because he started to cry and told me how sorry he was for hurting my feelings. Maybe the mean words between brothers will also be less in our house as we continue to work on this in our home.
No comments:
Post a Comment