August 9, 2009

The BLANKIE!!!




For the last 5.3 years Peanut has had this blanket. It has been a good companion and friend for him. However, last week we visited the dentist and he informed us that it was time for him to stop sucking his thumb. Peanut's eyes got all teary and with his voice quivering he said, "But I don't want to." I knew the day was going to come but I was dreading it. From the day he got sick when he was six months old and stopped taking a pacifier he has sucked his thumb. It had to be stopped. But how? I knew the answer but did not want to face it. His blanket had to be taken away. The only time he sucks his thumb is when he has his blanket in his hand. His beloved friend would have to get "lost". So on Thursday, Aug 6th, 2009 Peanut's blanket was gone. I have hidden it away so that someday when the thought of sucking his thumb is no longer present, his dear friend can return. He has not sucked his thumb for 4 days and only asks for his blanket at night when he goes to bed. It makes my heart sad to take away his source of comfort and security. Hopefully someday he will understand.

1 comment:

Ondriawfd said...

You are such a good mom. Having a thumb sucker / blanket little guy myself I know how hard that must be. He's lucky to have a mom that can stay strong enough to do what's best for him.